Parachutist Badge “Jump Wings”Army combat and special skill badges reflect the achievements, in peace and war, of U.S. Army Soldiers. The Army's oldest special skill badge is the parachutist badge, formally approved on March 10, 1941, and awarded to those who have completed the required proficiency tests or who have participated in at least one combat parachute jump. In 1940 volunteers from the 29th Infantry Regiment, Fort Benning, formed the parachute test platoon and later became the cadre for the Army's first combat airborne unit, the 501st Parachute Battalion, activated on October 1. Its commander, Major (later Major General) William M. Miley, quickly contacted the Heraldry Branch of the Office of the Quartermaster General to request a badge to recognize soldiers who had completed jump training. In March 1941, not satisfied with the designs proposed, Major Miley sent Captain (later Lieutenant General) William P. Yarborough to Washington to procure an approved badge. Captain Yarborough had Major Miley's authority to approve any design he considered acceptable.
*Approx 2″ width, chrome plated, zinc alloy
*Attaches with 3M adhesive
*Tabs, units, and branches sold separately
We Also Recommend